I met Krizia at a bloggers meetup when I was living in Toronto. Krizia is one of those gorgeous women that just glows with vitality and energy, so I wasn’t suprised when she started up her health blog – Eat Smart Age Smart. Krizia has very kindly written this article for High on Health because she wanted to share her story with her own personal battle with acne. Thanks Krizia!
I’ve had acne my entire life!
Like most people I started having acne in my tweens. Because my acne was becoming more and more severe and because my face looked like it was permanently spayed with oil, I was taken to the dermatologist for some much needed help. After an assessment, my dermatologist had me on this really strict diet because she believed that my acne was related to the consumption of certain foods.
I was 12 at the time and having to give up a few of my favourite foods was like torture, but I also was very self-conscious about my face and when you are that young, you are very concerned about being teased. If giving up a few foods guaranteed an acne-free face, I was a willing participant because being teased as a kid is just horrible.
Because my dermatologist cut out things like chips, fast foods, pops, whole milk and countless of other foods, I didn’t grow up with a number of bad eating habits that afflict so many teenagers. I had a fairly good diet growing up and since become an adult (and haven been a former personal chef) I’ve been quite particular about my diet and I gladly accept the label of “health-nut”!
The sad reality is that my acne is directly related to my stress level and the impact it has on my hormones.
There was a short window of time in my life where I didn’t have to deal with acne. During my twenties, my skin was glorious, but my thirties turned out to be radically different and my acne came back with a vengeance. Contrarily to when I was younger, my acne scars wouldn’t heel and I quickly found my face covered with pimples and dark acne scars.
By the summer of 2008, I had had enough and I was tired of feeling embarrassed about my acne. You see, my acne doesn’t stop at the face, I also have acne on my chest and my right shoulder was severely affected.
I spent a lot of money on topical creams with little results and after several unfruitful appointments with my dermatologist at that time, I decided that I need to take more definite actions to overcome this frustration. I decided to visit a cosmetic doctor to find a solution to fading my acne scars because I couldn’t take it anymore.
The cosmetic doctor who assessed my condition told me there would be a few treatments she would recommend to help with my dark acne scars but she couldn’t perform any of them until I had gotten a handle on my acne breakouts. I quickly told her of my journey with topical acne products and she told me that it wouldn’t be enough and she recommended antibiotics. My eye immediately opened as wide as Frisbee disks because I really wasn’t interested in going down that road. I thanked the doctor and left her office discouraged.
A few weeks later, I was invited to attend the 10th anniversary of Genuine Health and I was so excited. Genuine Health manufacturers and distributes a long list of all natural supplements and powdered greens and I’ve been a huge fan of their products for years. At the event I was introduced to Sam Graci, the creator of Greens+ and the “father of superfoods”. During my discussion with Sam Graci, I explained my condition and how I feared that I might actually have to resort to antibiotics to help me control my acne.
Mr. Graci looked at me with a disapproving look and asked me if I had heard of their Perfect Skin product. I told him that I had seen it in stores but I was quite skeptical that a supplement could actually do anything for my condition and I dismissed the product all together. Mr. Graci, told me that I needed to try Genuine Health’s Perfect Skin in combination with Healthy Skin for about four to five months before I made any decisions about moving forward with antibiotics.
I was so desperate for a solution for my adult acne that I was willing to try anything. I also have to say that since I had been taking Greens+ for years and knew of the quality of both Sam Graci and Genuine Health products, I felt that it wouldn’t hurt to at least give this natural acne control combination a try.
I’ll tell you upfront that neither Healthy Skin nor Perfect Skin will deliver results in a few months. You really need to be committed to this treatment because your body will need to start absorbing many of the nutrients that are missing to help fight off your acne flare-ups.
>>> So what are the advantages of using Perfect Skin?
Genuine Health developed their acne control supplement based on leading skin care research and developed in-conjunction with a leading naturopathic doctor and dermatologist. Perfect Skin contains strictly natural proven ingredients including Omega3, green tea extract, zinc and chromium to target the main causes of acne and problem skin resulting from acne flare-ups.
You might be interested in knowing that in time you can expect these benefits from daily use of Perfect Skin:
- Reduction of acne lesion (less acne break outs means less acne scars)
- Reduction of blackheads and blemishes
- Reduction of inflammation of acne lesions
- Decrease in sebum production (oil production)
- Decrease in follicle blockage (which usually result in your pimples because the bacteria is trapped under your skin and it begging to get out)
- Normalized structure, size and function of pores (when your pores are functioning normally, they can better help expel toxins from your skin)
- Increased resilience to stress and regulation of mood (less stress means less hormonal fluctuation that leads to acne break outs)
>>> So when did I figure out that Perfect Skin from Genuine Health was helping me control my acne?
- The first change I noticed a few months after I started taking Perfect Skin was the fact that I was not breaking out as much during “that time of the month”. I first thought that maybe I had started taking better control of my stress levels and that maybe my work days where getting shorter and I quickly snapped out of that fantasy and remembered that I was still working way too long and running around from one appointment to another (being a business owner comes at a price) … so the product had to be working somewhat.
- The second thing I noticed was the fact that when I did break out and had a pimple, it healed much faster than before and the pigmentation was not nearly as dark as it had been in the past.
- The third thing that let me know that I was on my way to controlling my acne was when I applied makeup to go out not long ago and noticed that I did NOT have to apply as much concealer to try to hide the dark spots. Once I had finished applying my foundation, my face looked much better than it had in the past because I really didn’t need to put on as much makeup and my entire face looked so much more open and much brighter.
- The fourth thing I noticed was that the acne on my shoulders and chest was not flaring up as much.
The best part is that contrarily to topical acne products that always left my skin feeling like sand paper … especially during the winter months, Perfect Skin never dehydrates my skin!
>>> How does Healthy Skin fit into my daily acne control routine?
Healthy Skin was developed by Dr. Alan Logan, who is the author of The Clear Skin Diet, and Sam Graci, who formulated Greens+. Along with Dr. Logan and Graci, a number of world-class dermatologists were also part of the team.
The list of advantage of taking Healthy Skin is long:
- It will improve the hydration of your skin.
- It will increase the blood flow to the skin for added radiance.
- It will help with skin firmness and collagen production.
- It will help you fight free radical damage (aka oxidative stress).
- It will help reduce typical symptoms associated with acne and psoriasis.
- It will help reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
- It will help reduce scaling, dry and rough skin.
- The addition of the Greens+ will help improve your energy levels!
There are four important ingredients in Healthy Skin that helps you age well AND control your acne:
- Cocoa seed extract: Cocoa seed extract contains the highest concentration of antioxidants (polyphenols) available! They contain more antioxidants than green tea, blueberries AND pomegranate juice.
- Hydrolyzed collagen: Fish collagen is rich in proteins that are structurally similar to those found in the collagen and elastin of the deeper layer of the skin. Hydrolyzed collagen will help with the skin’s hydration, elasticity dullness and it will also help with wrinkles AND dark circles under the eyes!
- Vitamins such as B2, C and E, zinc, lycopene and selenium: This power concoction of vitamins will help with overall skin health.
- Greens+: Greens+ provides your body with the required phytonutirients and detoxification properties.
Healthy Skin is quite easy to take. I simple add 2/3 water and 1/3 orange juice, shake and drink. Oh, did I mention that the flavor is chocolate/raspberry?
>>> Healthy Skin and Perfect Skin are saviours:
The combination of Healthy Skin and Perfect Skin on a daily base has really helped me control my acne and it’s also helped my skin tremendously. I was more than pleased with the fact that I was actually able to deal with my acne without having to resort to any type of treatment that might cause some serious gastric issues down the road. I trust Genuine Health products because I know this company is so obsessed with finding excellent ingredients for all the products they produce.
>>> Where can you buy Genuine Health products?
Genuine Health products are sold both in the U.S. and Canada and you’ll find them at most health food stores and at Whole Foods Market!
You’ll find a lot more information on their web site: Genuine Health
You can read my daily banter on healthy foods and fitness at Eat Smart Age Smart.
Krizia is the founder of Eat Smart Age Smart and an Aging-Well Expert.